The Accuplacer Test is administered Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Enrollment Center.
Scheduling Your Test
- You can schedule a test session using the link to the right
- Or, we accept walk-ins based on availability
- The last testing time starts at 3:30 p.m.
- Please note: A photo ID is required to take the Accuplacer Test. No exceptions can be made to this policy.
Students are highly encouraged to prepare for the Accuplacer test by taking a practice version which provides instant feedback and can be accessed online. For more information, email: firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the practice test.
Admissions RequirementsAn ACT subscore of 18 or higher in reading and English, or SAT subscore of 25 or higher in reading and writing/language, plus a high school grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher; or 12 college credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher. Students who do not meet these requirements need to take the Accuplacer test in each category in which their scores are under 18. All students who are below a 2.0 GPA in high school or college must take the full Accuplacer test. Students need to apply for admissions to GRCC before taking the Accuplacer. If you have not applied, please fill out our application.
What is the Accuplacer placement test?
The Accuplacer is a computerized test that students who plan to attend GRCC take to assess their skill levels in reading and English. The Accuplacer is not a pass or fail, but rather an assessment to help you and your counselor determine which classes will best enable you to achieve your academic goals.
What subjects does the Accuplacer Test cover?
Reading Comprehension This test contains 22 questions. Some ask you to decide how two sentences are related. Questions are answered after reading passages of various lengths.
Writing The essay test asks for the type of academic writing you are likely to experience as part of your college coursework.
Who needs to take the Accuplacer Test?
- High School Graduates (GPA below 2.0) – You are required to take all sections of the Accuplacer test if your high school GPA is below 2.0.
- High School Graduates (GPA 2.0 or higher) – If your ACT score is below 18 for reading or English, or your SAT score is below 25 in reading or writing/language, you are required to take the corresponding Accuplacer test. For example, if you scored a 26 on the SAT in reading and a 19 in writing, you would need to take just the writing portion of the Accuplacer.
- College Transfer Students – Individuals who have applied to GRCC with a College Transcript, but do not have a 2.0 overall GPA with at least 12 credits earned will be required to take all portions of the Accuplacer.
- GED Students – Individuals who have submitted a GED as a part of the GRCC application must complete all components of the Accuplacer test before being admitted to GRCC.
When you have completed the tests, you will see a report of your scores on the screen and you will receive a printed report of your scores. You will also receive recommended courses for you to enroll in.
To request scores for another institution, please fill out our Accuplacer Record Release Form.
Test Locations and Times
Please note: A photo ID is required to take the Accuplacer Test. No exceptions!
Acceptable forms of photo identification include:
- A current driver's license
- A state approved ID
- A college ID
- A current passport
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
Grand Rapids Campus – Enrollment Center
Main Building - 1st Floor
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids MI 49503
Walk-in testing available — no appointment required. First come, first serve basis. Children are not allowed in the testing area, nor can they be left unattended while you take the test. Please make arrangements prior to your test date. Free parking is available the day you test in the student parking ramps.