Residency Information

Changing your address does not automatically change your residency status. Please review the residency information below,  complete the Residency Review Form and provide documentation for a residency review.

Resident Status

  • Legal Residence
    The permanent, primary residence where a person intends to return whenever absent from college. (Note: College owned housing is not considered permanent, primary residence)
  • Resident Status
    A student who has been a resident of the Kent Intermediate School District (KISD) for at least six consecutive months
    A student who lives with his/her parents and/or legal guardian and they own or lease the home within the boundaries of the KISD
  • Non-Resident Status
    A student who has been a resident of the state of Michigan for at least six consecutive months but does not meet the definition of Resident Status.
  • Out-of-State Status
    A student who does not meet the definitions of Resident or Non-Resident Status.
    A student who has temporary entry permission (for example, a Student Visa, Au Pair).

Residency Review

Students who believe their residency status has changed or is incorrect may request a review of their records by submitting a Residency Review Form to the GRCC Cashier’s Office along with acceptable documentation. A Residency Review Form can also be obtained in the Cashier’s Office, Room 154, Main Building.

The Residency Review form must be received in the Cashier’s Office prior to the start date of the semester for which the change is being requested. Requests received after the semester start date will be considered for the following semester and will not be considered for previous semesters.

Acceptable Documentation

  1. The  College will accept as proof of legal resideny a valid Michigan Driver's License or State of Michigan ID with a dated change of address affixed to the back (if applicable) plus one of the following or two of the following:
  2. A dated voter registration card.
  3. Copy of  dated lease agreement or six (6) consecutive months of verifiable rent receipts.
  4. Copy of proof of purchase (copy of Buy-Sell Agreement) of home for residence within the KISD (or a copy of the summer property tax statement) - 6 month requirement waived
  5. Cpoy og utility bills with the student’s name and address for each of the six (6) consecutive months.
  6. If rent receipts are not available, a notarized letter from the landlord containing the address and dates you have lived there will be accepted. Verifiable receipts or notorized letter must contain all the following information:
    • Address of the property being rented
    • Dates of each payment
    • Signature, address, and phone number of the landlord

In all cases, the start date of establishing residency must be six (6) months prior to the start date of the semester for which the change is being requested.

Residency Audit

Grand Rapids Community College will perform annual verification of residency information. Students who have misrepresented information or have falsified documents may have to repay tuition, verify back records, or may be dismissed from the College. If a student has mail returned to the College, a hold code will be placed on his/her records and the student must verify his/her residency at the Cashier’s Office. Students should direct any questions about residency, tuition/fee charges and payment to the Supervisor of the Cashier’s Office, located on the first floor of the Main Building.