You must either complete the ten prerequisite classes at GRCC, or transfer an Associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university AND take CJ 164.
The ten prerequisite classes must be passed and completed by January of the start of the academy. You must have an overall GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for the Police Academy.
- EN 100 or EN 101
- EN 102
- COM 131 or COM 135
- CJ 110
- CJ 111
- CJ 122
- CJ 164 (Summer Boot Camp—still required for those with a degree)
- 2 Natural Science electives (Note: one must have a lab and they must total 8 credits)
You cannot have any felonies on your record, including adult expungements. Misdemeanor crimes will be discussed on a case-by-case situation. Law Enforcement demands people with a strong moral character.
You must be at a physical fitness level sufficiently high enough to pass the pre-enrollment physical agility test. Do not take your fitness level for granted. You must prepare for this test. To check out the test details, go to MCOLES, Physical fitness test. Testing dates will be available with the application packet in July.
2016 Police Academy Information
If you are interested in the 2016 Police Academy, be sure to attend ONE of the informational meetings to find out more about the:
- Michigan standards to become a police officer
- Academic requirements
- Application process
- Selection process
- Academy schedule
- Mandatory: CJ 164 Police Academy Boot Camp (summer 2015)
- Fees, etc.
Informational meeting dates and times (meeting last one hour):
- Thursday, April 9, 2015; 10:30am
- Monday, April 13, 2015; 4:00pm
- Tuesday, April 21, 2015; 12:00pm
Meetings are held at the:
Police Academy Classroom, 208 Sneden hall, GRCC DeVos Campus 435 Fulton Street, E., Grand Rapids, MI 49503