Regular attendance is expected. Please be sure to arrive early and quietly unpack, having instruments and books ready at lesson time. Tardiness will result in a shortened lesson. Illness and other expected or unexpected circumstances may make it necessary to miss a lesson. If illness is running in your family, it is best to miss a lesson. If a teacher cancels, the lessons will be made up at a mutually agreeable time. This is often accomplished by extending the semester. If a parent or student cancels with an advance notice, every effort will be made to provide a make-up lesson. If less than 24 hour notice is given, lessons may be made up at the discretion of the instructor.
- If the college is closed due to inclement weather, all Arts Outreach Activities are canceled.
- If Grand Rapids Public Schools district closes, all Arts Outreach Activities are canceled as well (see website or call 234.4981 for updates).
- To receive a text message regarding GRCC AO cancellations, please text message the word: grccao to phone number: 84483. Standard text message charges may apply from your wireless provider.
- Individual teachers may decide to cancel lessons in which case parents will be personally notified.
Music Building is located on the corner of Ransom/Lyon. Click here for map. See music office for Ransom Street Lot parking vouchers.
Park Church is located on the corner of Ransom/Fulton. Click here for map. Parking is available at the church's lot across from St.Cecilia.
Metered spots are available around both buildings (free after 5p.m.).
PHOTOGRAPHS AND PUBLICITY
GRCC Arts Outreach Program requests permission to use photographs of registered students in AO publication and advertising materials (printed or electronic). Decline of consent may result in exclusion from public performances.
Dr. Shinichi Suzuki wrote The Ability to Feel Another Person's Heart. This excellent article addresses the education of etiquette and courtesy. In certain cases, students may require a change in instruction. The first contact should be a conversation with the current teacher, without the child present. If it is in the best interest of the student, and a change is possible, the teacher would then make the request and introduction of the student to the new teacher.
No food or drinks are allowed in the halls, practice rooms or classrooms. Please keep in mind that we are sharing facilities with numerous staff and students of the Community College and Park Church. Please do not allow children to run in the halls and keep the noise level to a minimum.
SUZUKI PROGRAM POLICIES
- New families are strongly encouraged to observe lessons prior to enrollment.
- Read Nurtured by Love and other materials provided in the materials pack.
- Learn to play the instrument through fundamentals.
- Facilitate communication among teacher, child and oneself.
- Provide adequate materials.
- Attend and participate in all private and group lessons, taking notes and understanding assignments. Excessive absences may result in not being able to perform at concerts and/or dismissal from the program.
- Practice with child daily, participate in all GRCC Suzuki performances.
- Make sure that the child completes daily listening assignments.
- Make an effort to observe other lessons and participate in workshops or institutes.
Group lessons are vital to the success of the Suzuki approach. Students must enroll in and attend group lessons.
There are specific graduation requirements for various levels. Be sure to talk with your teacher to understand what is required.
Concert dress will be worn for all public group performances unless otherwise instructed. Concert dress includes GRCC Suzuki Performance shirt and navy slacks/skirt. Click here to order your shirt!