Main Navigation Menu

Transfer Credit

Transferring credits out of GRCC

Students wanting to transfer credits earned at GRCC to another institution can do so by requesting that their GRCC official transcript be sent. The receiving institution is responsible for evaluating and posting incoming transfer classes/credits. For more information, please visit the General Transfer Information webpage.

Transferring credits into GRCC

Admitted, degree-seeking students may have credits earned outside of GRCC evaluated and posted to their GRCC transcripts.

Some general notes on transfer credits:

  • GRCC will only accept transfer credit from accredited institutions.
  • Transferred credits may only be applied as long as the original grade earned was a C or better.
  • The process for posting transfer credits can take up to four weeks. For enrollment purposes, please be aware of this timeline.
  • Students can see posted transfer credits by viewing their unofficial transcript.
  • Transferred courses will have a generic grade T.
  • Transfer credits do not impact the calculated GRCC Grade Point Average (GPA).
  • They may be used toward both academic program (major) and graduation requirements.
  • Students must complete a minimum of 15 credits at GRCC in addition to any program and graduation requirements to be awarded an associate degree.


Transfer credits can come in a variety of forms such as:

College and University Transfer Credit

Send your official transcript from another institution to the GRCC Enrollment Center. To see how courses from various Michigan colleges and universities transfer into GRCC, please visit the Transfer Equivalencies webpage.

Test Transfer Credit (AP, CLEP, Challenge Exams, etc.)

  • AP/CLEP: Have the American College Board send your official test scores to College Code 1254 (GRCC Student Records Office).
  • Challenge Exams: If you achieve the minimum test score indicated on each faculty-developed study guide, the Student Records Office will be notified and post the credit(s) to your transcript. NOTE – Challenge Exams cannot be transferred to another institution.
  • DANTES/ACT PEP/Excelsior: Contact the testing service and have your official transcript sent to the Enrollment Center.

To see GRCC course equivalencies for earned test credits, please visit the Transfer Equivalencies webpage.

Military Transfer Credit

Military Transcripts are sent to GRCC in two methods depending on association:

  1. For Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserve: Visit Joint Services Transcripts.
  2. For Air Force: Have your transcripts sent for free by writing to:
    100 S. Turner Blvd.
    Maxwell Gunter AFB, AL 36114-3011 
  • Provide your full name, social security number, and GRCC address:
    143 Bostwick Ave. 
    NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295

You can also visit Credential Solutions and have your transcripts sent for a minimal fee. 

For any further questions or clarity, contact the Veteran's Benefits Coordinator at 616-234-4129.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Credit

To receive credit for prior learning experiences, please visit the Prior Learning Assessment webpage.

Foreign Transfer Credit

Students wanting to receive transfer credit from colleges outside the United States are required to send the following to the Enrollment Center:

  1. an official transcript,
  2. a certified English translation of the transcript (if not in English), and
  3. a course-by-course evaluation performed by an evaluation service.

Acceptable evaluation services:

For additional information about transfer credits, please visit the GRCC catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions